Options of Importing a Vehicle into Australia
Registered Automotive Workshop Scheme
This scheme allows for the importation and supply to the market of used vehicles.
Approved Registered Automotive Workshops (RAWs) import, modify and plate used vehicles in accordance with concessional standards.
Specialist and Enthusiast Vehicle Register (SEVS)
Listing on the Register of Specialist and Enthusiast Vehicles means that vehicles can be imported into Australia under the Low Volume Vehicles Scheme and the Registered Automotive Workshop Scheme.
Glam groups Pty Ltd, Trading as Glam Compliance Australia, is RAW that can comply most of the Demand Vehicles on the SEVS.
Personal Import Option
This option allows migrants settling in Australia or expatriate Australian citizens returning permanently to Australia after a long period overseas, to bring their personal vehicle with them as long as it has been owned, and used overseas for a minimum of 12-month period.
With our years of experience and Engineering Knowledge, we can make any Personal Import to comply, while others can’t.
Vehicles Manufactured 15 years old Option (15 year Rule)
This option as ceased to exist, Ended in May 2005 with the change of this rule, has allowed the option for the importation of road vehicles manufactured before 1 January 1989.
Vehicles Manufactured before 1989 Option (Rolling 15 year rule)
This option allows for the importation of road vehicles manufactured before 1 January 1989. This option is designed to cater for the importation of older enthusiast, classic or historic vehicles.
This option will finish soon as New Road Vehicle Standards Legislation approves in the Parliament of Australia in coming days.
With our professional and expertise with importing and complying, while this import option is still possible, we are able to take advantage till it’s no longer available.
Vehicles Manufactured 25 years old Option (25 year Rule)
(Rolling, Vehicles Manufactured before 1989 Option)
This option allows for the importation of road vehicles manufactured 25 years old (month / year at the time of import approval application). This option is designed to cater for the importation of older enthusiast, classic, historic vehicles including motorcycles, but not for buses, trucks or commercial vehicles. Left hand drive cars are eligible.
This option will be available soon as new Road Vehicle Standards Legislation approves in the Parliament of Australia in coming days. Already passed in the Lower House.
With our professional and expertise with importing and complying, we are ready as soon as the above import option becomes available.
NB: The import options have been designed to allow importation outside of commercial certification arrangements. The options are generally focused on the importation of individual, ‘one-off’ vehicles.
overview of all steps involved in importing a
vehicle into Australia. This process involves a number of government agencies.
Main things you need to consider before importing a vehicle to Australia
- Is the vehicle Eligible to enter Australia?
- Which import option can you apply under?
- What costs are involved? (eg shipping, storage, delivery, permit application, taxes, Customs duties, cleaning for quarantine purposes, asbestos testing/removal, quarantine inspection costs modification costs, State or Territory registration and insurance requirements, etc)
- What are the time frames involved for getting the permit and other necessary arrangements?
- What documentation do you need?
- What are the requirements for each government agency?
- Do you need to use a broker?
- Will you need to have modifications done to meet Australian standards?
- What are the risks involved with importing a vehicle?
Apply for a vehicle import approval
- Some vehicles may not be able to be imported into Australia and will not be issued with a Vehicle Import Approval.
- There may not be an import option that will suit every person or vehicle in every particular circumstance.
- The issuing of a Vehicle Import Approval may be subject to certain conditions.These conditions will be made clear when the Vehicle Import Approval is granted and may be unique to the particular vehicle. Breaching any stated conditions is an offence. Offenders may be prosecuted and fined or have their import approval revoked.
- Do not import a vehicle into Australia before obtaining a vehicle import approval
- If you ship your vehicle without an Import Approval, your vehicle may be held in bonded storage and you may incur further costs including storage fees.
- The importation of a road vehicle (that is nonstandard or does not have an identification plate) without a vehicle import approval is prohibited under the Motor Vehicle Standards Act 1989. It is an offence with a maximum penalty of 120 penalty units (refer to the Crimes Act 1914 Section 4 for current penalty unit values).
- The Motor Vehicle Standards Act 1989 (the Act) and Motor Vehicle Standards Regulations 1989 (the Regulations) make it an offence to import, sell or present new or used imported vehicles to the Australian market for the first time unless they meet the National Standards, except in circumstances where an exemption has been granted by the Administrator of Vehicle Standards (the Administrator).
- Government agency Involved: Department of Infrastructure, Regional Development and Cities
Arrange shipping of vehicle
- Arrange and coordinate a Freight Forwarding company in the country of export.
- Before the shipment, make sure the car is steam cleaned inside and out to remove any materials that may cause a quarantine issue.
- The A/C equipment and the whole consignment should not contained any restricted gases or it has been degassed and comply with all gas import requirements under Ozone Protection and Synthetic Greenhouse Gas Management Act 1989 (http://www.environment.gov.au/protection/ozone/licences-and-reporting/equipment-licences-eqpl)
- New Government regulations of importation asbestos containing material (eg: Brake Pads) (ACM) into Australia is prohibited pursuant to Regulation 4C of the Customs (Prohibited Imports) Regulations 1956.
- Arrange all shipping methods including Marine Insurance via roll on / roll off, consolidated or dedicated container.
- Government Agencies Involved: Department of the Environment and Energy, Department of Agriculture and Water Resources and Department of Home Affairs
Get Customs clearance
- Advice Customs Brokers to arrange clearance
- Lodge an import declaration
- Pay Customs duty
- Pay Goods & Services Tax (GST)
- Pay Luxury Car Tax, if required
- Arrange Transport of the vehicle to the accredited compliance Workshop that can comply with Australian standards, ISO Standards (Some Vehicles only) and for Road registration Requirements.
- Government agency Involved: Department of Home Affairs
Meet Australian Quarantine requirements
- Lodge a Quarantine Entry with the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources
- Arrange inspection appointment
- Government agency Involved: Department of Agriculture
Meet Import Approval Conditions (Complying the Vehicle)
- Arrange for modification of the vehicle.
- Conduct testing and develop evidence of compliance
- Apply for identification plate approvals or supply to the market approvals if necessary
- Road registration is completely separate to the Import Approval process and is controlled by State and Territory regulations.
- Vehicles Need to Comply according to The Australian Design Rules (ADRs). ADRs for motor vehicles and trailers are the National Standards and a standard vehicle is one that complies with all of the applicable ADRs. An identification plate fitted with the approval of the Administrator indicates that a vehicle is a standard vehicle.
- Vehicles Need to Comply according ISO Standards if necessary.
- Vehicle is either not subject to a recall to rectify possibly faulty airbags in its country of origin or that the vehicle has had its faulty airbags replaced as part of a recall by its original manufacturer.
Register the vehicle
- Apply to register the vehicle in the relevant State or Territory
- Government agencies Involved: State Road and Transport Authorities
Insurance and Warranty
- There are few Insurance companies offer a competitive rate for Imported Vehicles which we can refer you too, or arrange for you.
- We can supply Warranty options from 1 to 5 years and Basic (Plan A) to Gold (plan D) including unlimited claims through 3rd party Australia wide recognised Warranty Company. (conditions apply)
REASONS TO CHOOSE GLAM GROUPS PTL LTD:
With years of experience Importing Vehicles, complying and registration – we have the fastest turnaround time in Australia with great success. By entrusting Glam Groups with your vehicle import process, you will be able to sit back and relax while we use our knowledge, experience and expertise to do the hard work for you.
21 Truck City Dr, Campbellfield
VIC 3061, Australia
Glam Groups Pty Ltd
© 2018 Glam Groups Pty Ltd.
Our Mission is to provide integrity, honesty and quality service for our customers.
Digital Solution by Nimantha Dias